As Montreal’s museum of moving images, the Cinémathèque québécoise has a mission to promote film culture and preserve the national and international audiovisual heritage. Take advantage of our guided tours to discover our brand new permanent exhibition “Secrets and Illusions: The Magic of Special Effects” which opens in April 2013 to mark our 50th anniversary.
Secrets and Illusions: The Magic of Special Effects
Are you are a professor or teacher? The Cinémathèque offers four educational programs created especially for students in order to demystify the vast field of special effects. From the earliest films using these mysterious and fascinating techniques to the latest hit movies, it’s a fun and engaging educational experience!
Guided tours are starting up again as of June 25 and day camps are welcome!
Language: English or French
Educational levels: Elementary Cycle One, Elementary Cycle Two, Elementary Cycle Three, Secondary Cycle One, Secondary Cycle Two, College and University
Subject areas: Cinema, Media Arts and Social Sciences
Number of students: 10 to 40
Number of accompanying adults admitted free: 1 for every 15 students
The activity will take place as follows:
1-Presentation of the Cinémathèque québécoise and its mission. Introduction to special effects of various types, from the spectacular to the imperceptible (15 minutes)
2-Tour of the exhibition The Magic of Special Effects (approx. 45 min.)
3-Viewing of film clips (approx. 45 min.)
Total duration: 2 hours (approx.)
General learning objectives:
- Understand what a special effect is
- Become aware of the purposes and impact of special effects
- Discover the processes involved in creating special effects and learn about some of the techniques
- Discover the different crafts involved in creating special effects
Experiential learning objectives:
- Wonder at the imagination, beauty and magic of special effects
- View actual artefacts, photos and sketches illustrating the processes used in creating special effects
- Observe examples of special effects in film clips
An option with a visit of the Mediathèque Guy L. Coté is available for post-graduate students ($ 9 per person, duration: total of 3 hours).
The guided tours meet the Quebec Education Program (QEP) requirements.